Worker killed at Hampshire Cricket's Rose Bowl ground
11:40am Tuesday 9th February 2010
AN investigation has been launched after the death of a construction worker at Hampshire’s Rose Bowl.
Police this morning named the dead man as Philip Carsley, 34, from Thurnscoe, North Yorkshire. His family have been notified.
Last night the area was sealed off by police.
Officials from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which investigates industrial accidents, were also on the scene.
Earlier the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance and three rapid response units had been called and found the man alive, but medics were unable to save him and he died at the scene.
The accident happened shortly before 2pm yesterday.
One fellow worker, who the Daily Echo has agreed not to name, said: “I didn’t hear a bang because it’s a building site and it’s normally noisy.
“Suddenly it just went quiet.
Then I heard someone say the police had been called.”
A Hampshire police spokesman said: “Hampshire police and the Health and Safety Executive have launched an inquiry following the death of a construction worker at the Hampshire Rose Bowl cricket ground. The dead man was working on the construction of a new spectator stand.”
An HSE spokesman said: “We are aware of the incident and have sent inspectors down to the site to make initial inquires.
“However, the police are currently taking the lead role in the investigation.”
Last night Rose Bowl staff were redirecting hundreds of visitors who had turned up for the four different functions being held at the venue.
Rose Bowl and Hampshire Cricket boss Rod Bransgrove was unavailable for comment.
Additional reporting by Simon Carr
Rose Bowl Redevelopment
The £48m redevelopment of the Rose Bowl has been in the spotlight for months since Eastleigh Borough Council agreed to pump £32.2m of taxpayers’ money into the scheme. It helped bail out a significant part of the project – a 175-bedroom hotel and conference centre.
However the move angered three rival hotel groups which have filed for a judicial review into the loan. Other features of the redevelopment are the construction of new stands with covered seating and facilities for a further 5,000 spectators increasing permanent capacity to 15,000. With temporary seating it would allow crowds of 25,000.
The golf course would be expanded from nine to 18 holes.
It is all planned to be completed before the Rose Bowl hosts its first Test match in 2011.